Wednesday 8 February 2012

(2) Introduction

At 2:15pm on Saturday 16th April baby was born... No this will come later.

We need to look much further into the past, we need to establish who our ancestors were, their state of health, their education, where they lived, did they have an occupation or profession, these and many more questions need to be answered before we can move on. It has been said that quite often the well-being of a person, mentally and physically, could be hereditary.

A Family Tree.
Many years ago I found, in an old tin box, certificates of various types, births, deaths and marriage of people with familiar names to those in our family, but the individuals were unknown to me. There was also a list of twelve names, handwritten on a tatty piece of paper. I did some research and found that the first name on the list was my Mothers Grandfather and that the tenth name was my Grandmother. This was a big step forward, at the time I didn't have a Grandfather,now although a Grandfather was still missing, I had found a Great Grandfather.

Through the good offices of Genes Reunited and the Census of 1831 I was able to establish that the first name on the list was Richard Richardson born on 11th February 1831. I could not find his Mother, but his Father, Joseph Richardson is listed as a Book Keeper. This means that I can add a Great Great Grandfather to my ancestors. Their address at that time was Marylebone, London

At sometime between 1831 and 1856 Richard Richardson left London and moved to Birmingham and married Matilda Homer at St Phillips Church, Birmingham on the 15th May 1856. At this stage we have no information if the whole Richardson family moved together, or if, at a later date Richard Richardson alone moved. We have not been able to establish his occupation but believe it was either a packing case maker, or a pattern maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment